The speed limit is the maximum speed you should travel – it’s doesn’t mean that it’s safe to drive at this speed in all conditions.
National speed limits for cars
- Some inner-city or residential areas (e.g. Edinburgh city centre): 20mph
- Built up areas (e.g. most towns and villages): 30mph
- Single carriageways (a road with only one lane in each direction): 60mph
- Dual carriageways (a road that usually has two or more lanes in each direction): 70mph
- Motorways (a major road built for faster travel over long distances): 70mph