Be bright, be seen
For nursery and primary school levels:
How to stay bright and be seen near roads
Wearing the right clothing, and choosing the right route at night makes a huge difference to your safety.
What to wear:
- When it’s dull outside, wear bright, fluorescent or white
- When it’s dark, wear night reflective gear, e.g. reflective vests, sashes, or wristbands
- You can also get reflective accessories such as clip-on reflectors, fluorescent arm bands, or special tape
Where to walk:
- Choose well-lit walking routes
- Try and cross the road at a place lit up by street lights and / or buildings
Cycling or using a scooter at night
If you’re cycling or using a scooter to get around at night make sure you can be seen by traffic. As well as the usual reflective gear, cyclists must have a white light at the front and a red light at the back. This is in addition to the white reflector at the front, and a red rear reflector.