You should never get a lift from a driver who’s under the influence. It might be awkward saying no to your mate but really you’ve got to ask yourself – is it worth risking your life?
Class activity: Consider the following questions in pairs on groups.
- When you’re a teenager, having friends with cars is new and exciting. When you’re depending on someone for a lift, do you trust them not to drink or take recreational drugs?
- Think of three things you can do to stay safe when you’re out with friends in a car.
- When getting a lift, is it different if you live in the countryside compared to living in town?
- What would you do if the driver started using a mobile phone while driving?
- What would you do if you realised the person who was giving you a lift had been drinking?
- Who is responsible if a drunk person gets hit by a car?