Cars produce around 27% of all carbon dioxide emissions in Scotland (Carbon Account for Transport, No.9: 2017 Edition; Transport Scotland).
Here’s how you can do your bit for the environment while improving your health and your bank balance:
- If your journey’s not too far, why not walk instead of driving? You’ll get fitter, save on fuel and won’t have to find a parking space.
- Think about getting an eco-friendly car, or convert to a fuel which gives off fewer harmful fumes. Your car will be cheaper to run too.
- Get more miles for your money by not revving your motor, speeding or braking sharply.
- Service your car regularly.
- Reduce your load: take your roof rack off and keep your boot empty – you’ll use less fuel.
- Check your tyres regularly – under-inflated tyres use more fuel.
- Car-sharing and park-and-ride schemes can save you a fortune as well as reducing your impact on the environment.