- It only takes seconds to put on a seatbelt. But it’s a simple act that could save your life.
- The risk of fatal injury is reduced by half when you belt up.
- Yet every year, police in Scotland still find around 27,000 people who are not wearing a seatbelt.
Risk of fatal injury reduced by 50% when wearing a seatbelt.
- Apart from being dangerous, it is illegal not to wear your seatbelt while travelling.
- You could be fined between £100 to £500.
- As the driver, it’s your responsibility to ensure children under 14 are wearing a seatbelt.
- If they’re not strapped in, you face a £100 fine for each unrestrained child.
- Your seat belt also protects other passengers. Without a seatbelt, a crash at 30mph will propel your body forward at up to 60 times your body weight – right into whatever or whoever may be front of you.
The Department of Transport has studies the impact of car accidents and injuries.