There’s a rise in the number of people not wearing seatbelts. A recent study shows that even a 2% drop in people wearing seatbelts is estimated to result in a 5% increase in fatalities*. The potential consequences of not wearing a seatbelt are felt by those left behind – they feel the impact too. The assets below are available to use and share to help spread the message on why it’s so important to wear your seatbelt.
IT'S NOT JUST YOU WHO GETS HURT TV AD
Key Campaign Messages
- A crash without a seatbelt doesn’t just hurt you.
- The consequences of not wearing your seatbelt can be devastating for yourself and other people, including your loved ones.
- Not wearing a seatbelt could cost you your life and the lives of your passengers.
- Figures show on average 13% of those killed on the roads in Scotland over the last five years were not wearing a seatbelt.1
- Wearing your seatbelt while driving is not a choice. If you are caught not wearing a seatbelt you could be fined up to £500. A driver can also be fined for every child under 14 found not properly restrained. Wearing a seatbelt reduces both fatal and non-fatal injuries by 60% in front-seat passengers and 44% in rear-seat passengers.2
- As a driver it is your responsibility to wear your seatbelt and ensure all passengers under 14 are also wearing theirs.
- Only three-quarters of drivers considered not wearing a seatbelt as ‘very serious’, well below the 93% who consider drink-driving and drug-driving to be ‘very serious’.3
- Wear a seatbelt or those left behind will feel the impact too.
- It’s not just you who gets hurt. Wear your seatbelt on every journey.
1 Transport Scotland: Reported Road Casualties Scotland 2020, October 2021
2 PACTS: Seat Belts: Time for Action, March 2020
3 RITS: Driver attitudes and behaviours tracker, February 2021
The partner toolkit contains a range of suggestions and content that can be used to support the #WearASeatbelt campaign.
We will be posting about the campaign on the Road Safety Scotland Facebook and Twitter accounts and we would be grateful if you would share these posts on your own channels.
We’d appreciate if you would share our content through your own social media channels. Below is some suggested copy:
A crash without a seatbelt doesn’t just hurt you. Think of your loved ones. Wear a seatbelt. More info here: bit.ly/3GCyamo #WearASeatbelt
As a driver you are also responsible for children under 14 in your vehicle. Make sure you are all wearing seatbelts or you could be fined. Find out more: bit.ly/3GCyamo #WearASeatbelt
Wearing your seatbelt is not a choice, it’s the law. If you’re caught without one you will be fined up to £500. More details: bit.ly/3GCyamo #WearASeatbelt
We have created a suite of social films for our key campaign messages. Please feel free to use these on your own social channels.
Social static banners
We have also created a set of static social banners which you can use on your own channels.
Social static infographics
Please use the following sets of static infographics on your own social channels.